Several of my friends have lovely 1830s dresses. I have always resisted making one for a few reasons. First, most of them have slightly off the shoulder bodices, which I cannot wear because of my scoliosis. Second, I am not much of a fan of the style in general. I saw a friend who had made an 1830s dress and it was real cute on her, and had a high neck! It was Past Patterns 1830s Full High Gown.
I went shopping in Val's fabric stash and purchased 4 yards of cute cream, rust and green mini floral. It was perfect for a day dress.
The first thing I made was a quilted petticoat. I used maybe 2 yards of quilted fabric that I got at Joanns on sale. I made a waist band and pleated it on to the waistband. I cut several inches off the bottom after the dress was done. Because the fabric is so thick, you have to put a cotton petticoat over the quilted one or your dress will get stuck in the pleats of the quilted fabric. Here it is before I cut off the bottom.
For accessories, I got a belt buckle at the antique show that Val found in a pile, and it was only $2. The bonnet was from Austentation.com - a plain green felt bonnet for $18. My thought was it would bring the green out of the print in the dress, but when it arrived it was a lot brighter green than I thought it would be. More of a kelly green. I had bought a pelerine from Etsy, and then received an email from the seller saying there was a death in the family, and she wasn't able to mail out timely, so she refunded my money. Imagine my surprise when a month later I received a shipping notice that it was on the way! I emailed her back and said I needed to pay for it. She said it was a gift because she made me wait :)
Once I had the dress together, I had scraps of green and rust/pumpkin taffeta to make a belt. The green was in no way close to the bonnet color, so I chose the rust. I had a rust and cream color plume for the hat. Well, the hat was still too green, so I decided to cover it in the same taffeta as the belt. Here it is in the process of being covered. I pleated white cotton to line the inside as well. Swapped out the green ribbon for brown.
Once the bonnet was finished, I put the whole outfit on for a test run. I played around with putting tulle in the balloon sleeves, but I didn't like puffs that were as big as my head...... out came the tulle!
My basic day dress was done. I had planned on wearing it in the Dickens festival fashion show. I wasn't real thrilled with the final look, but I tried :) I will make myself another bustle gown and feel better about the outcome.
Val was sweet and made me a cute matching reticule.
Below are photos taken on stage, including one where I show my quilted petticoat with the cotton one on top.
$9.00 Quilted fabric