When we made our matching dresses, Val had taught me how to make what I call my "ridiculous hat", because its covered in boa and lace and is just - fun! I took what Val taught me, and tweaked it with what I had laying around the house.
The base Val and I used for our original hats was a piece of foam. I didn't have any foam, so in my stash I found some quilt batting. Using the ridiculous hat, I traced around the foam base on paper. I used the paper as a rough pattern, and cut out 2 layers of quilt batting.
I did not worry about measuring anything or being too neat. It all gets covered up in the end, and I was in a hurry!
Then I made a cover for the batting from two layers of burgundy cotton, and sewed around the edges, leaving the bottom edge open in the middle.
Again, I just eyeballed it, knowing it would be covered with trim.
I stuffed the batting in the opening, fluffed it up and whip stitched it closed. Then, I tried out the shape on a styrofoam head. Next, I used this awesome faux wool wired ribbon to make ties, and sewed it to the two ends.
I pulled out some left over trims, and added a red and white lace around the edges, and some pom pom fringe around the face. I also made a bow to attach to the back. Its starting to look like a hat!
I bought a quarter yard of red stretch velvet, and did 5 rows of gathering stitches. I ruched it all up, and arranged it on top of the hat. I cut off the excess, and hand stitched it down.
So that is my quick little Holiday Hat!