I had been wanting to make the Truly Victorian 1883 Riding Habit Bodice and Skirt for quite some time.
In the rush of recruiting models, preparing a slide show and other things, I cut myself short on time for my own outfit. I had the patterns and fabric for my riding outfit for months, but always said to myself, "I have plenty of time". Well, with two and a half weeks before the show, I had nothing.
My dear friend Val stepped in and rescued me. I cut out the jacket and gave her the pieces, and she made 95% of it for me! I managed to sew in the sleeves, sew on buttons, make the skirt and jabot, and decorate the hat (again, Val to the rescue for the hat and veiling, found at JoAnn Fabric.) I decided I wanted it buttoned down the middle rather than double breasted.
Here are some shots of me being nervous backstage before the show.
|Photo by Debbie Boyd|
The breakdown on this outfit is:
Jabot - stash lace
Brown twill - the last $$ on my gift certificate at JoAnns.
$8 - 3 yards of brown lining
$5 - bit of velvet for collar
$5 - buttons
$3 - veiling
Plus, a riding crop for $4 :)