When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.


I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.




Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This and That

Three things:

1.     I have decided on the outfit for my Secret Santa Project.  I knew I wanted to make a new outfit for all the Titanic events coming up.  I love the floaty dresses, but I am getting a bit old for those.   I don't want a matronly suit either.   Perfect compromise:  A wonderful out of print Simplicity pattern. If you wanted to buy it online now, it will cost you around $50 more or less.  I just happen to have a wonderful friend who has this pattern, and I am copying it from her.  The great thing about having costuming friends is you can trade patterns and trace each others.  I bought a huge roll of pattern paper from Michael Levine's in LA, and it lasts forever.  I have had this roll for about a year now.   The big question is this - What color should I make it?  I don't want to do it in blue because I don't want to look like Rose from Titanic. 

2.   I can finally start my pink plaid dress!  Very excited about that!  I have to be very careful about the yardage as it will be very tight.  See my previous post about what it will look like.

3.   The Loose Change Project.    I made this funny little graph so I can watch the progress of my quest for change.  As soon as I hit $50, I cash it in and get a new dress started.  (at $6.89 right now).   May take six months, but I can keep busy til then!  I will just keep stealing change from Jerry's pockets and the bottom of my purse.

3 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I'm in support of you trying a color you haven't worn before with costuming. :D

    I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your Edwardian dress! I adore the styling but it seems daunting to me. Not sure if I'll ever be brave enough to try it. I've never really had much luck working with sheer, floaty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete